[asterisk-users] Smallest possible Asterisk VM

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Tue Feb 2 02:02:19 CST 2010

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010, Frank Church wrote:

> How small can an Asterisk system be, in terms of disk space utilized?

If depends on how much effort you're willing to put into making it small.

This is one of my systems:

/dev/ram0             136M   84M   53M  62% /

So about 80MB, I know I can get it a lot smaller, but there's most of a
text-based Linux install there too - a fairly full /bin, /usr/bin, etc. No
*sql though - I've no need for it, but there is a full apache & php.

Media files are stored elsewhere and I'm a bit lazy sbout that:

/dev/hda3             189M   95M   94M  51% /data

that's the full set of sounds, MOH in all formats except WAV. If I could
be bothered, I could work out exactly which ones are used and dump the
rest, but I don't think there's a need.

This system has a single 256MB compact flash device and 256MB of RAM, of
which just over half is given up for the root filing system ramdisk.

http://unicorn.drogon.net/cutie.jpg

Gordon