[asterisk-users] Using SIP stack within Asterisk to reboot phones - Possible?

Kai-Uwe Jensen kujensen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 21:58:46 UTC 2010

I've never worked with Aastras, so don't have any additional data over
what's been said by others. Also, I've never sent the SIP "check-sync"
notify to a phone that wasn't already registered with the asterisk server
the SIP notify was sent from. My best *guess* would be that actual behavior
of the phones in that case might vary (based on manufacturer and/or firmware
version). Some might ignore the notify, others *may* accept it *if* the
asterisk server was their provisioning server previously, some might even
blindly accept it.

The actual payload/content of the Notify is configured in the
sip_notify.conf file. My version (running 1.8.1.1) does not have anything
specific to Aastra in it, so I would try all the other ones to see if one of
them works. If none work, I'd go search for some Aastra administrator
documentation (or provisioning guide, or some such). As you can see from the
file, the payload itself is not complex at all. For Polycoms as an example,
the "Event" field in the SIP NOTIFY header is set to "check-sync". That's
all there is to it.

The SIP Notify we're talking about here is a simple SIP event being sent to
the phone by asterisk. Best to use a packet sniffer, or you could turn on
SIP debug in asterisk for a single peer and send it the "notify". The
behavior I see with my Polycoms makes it appear as if there is no
"handshake" between asterisk and the phone at all for these. The phone
reboots as soon as I send the notify. Even more, asterisk does a few
retransmissions of the notify packet, so it might've expected a SIP response
from the phone (which the phone did not send).

Lastly, to state "the obvious", the SIP Notify itself does not convey any
configuration data to the phone at all. It only tells the phone to "go check
your config". So to help with your provisioning scenario, you'd have to
update/modify the original config data/files for the phone on the
provisioning server, then trigger the phone to reboot (or reload). From all
I've seen with Polycoms and Ciscos, you'll set up a phone's provisioning
server through your DHCP server (or manually on the phone). The SIP Notify
will cause the phone to go back to that provisioning server and re-load the
latest config data.