[asterisk-users] Why does "sip show peers" show my router/gateway address as the client IP address?

Ryan Wagoner rswagoner at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 15:15:44 UTC 2010

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 3:06 AM, Bruce B <bruceb444 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
> I am using pfSense to do firewall and NAT on an Asterisk server. I have
> ports 5060 TCP/UDP and 10k-20k UDP forwarded to the Asterisk server local IP
> 192.168.5.5. However, when a user from outside using Linksys WRP400 ata
> connects to the Asterisk server and registers I see them as 192.168.1.1 in
> the "sip show peers" command. In face, all many different of the Linksys
> WRP400 show the same. It seems that pfsense does something to the packets
> that when they reach Asterisk it thinks they are sent from the Gateway
> rather than the actual endpoint hence the calls are not reaching the other
> side but registration is made.
> Any experience with this?
> Thanks

Do you have the siproxd package installed on pfsense? It is suspossed
to handle registrations from multiple phones behind NAT. In your case
since the phones are external I would probably remove it if installed.
I haven't needed siproxd.

Also on Asterisk set externip to your static IP in sip.conf. Or if you
don't have a static IP set externhost. You also need to configure
localnet.

Ryan