[asterisk-users] Why does "sip show peers" show my router/gateway address as the client IP address?

Bruce B bruceb444 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 08:06:19 UTC 2010

Hi Everyone,

I am using pfSense to do firewall and NAT on an Asterisk server. I have
ports 5060 TCP/UDP and 10k-20k UDP forwarded to the Asterisk server local IP
192.168.5.5. However, when a user from outside using Linksys WRP400 ata
connects to the Asterisk server and registers I see them as 192.168.1.1 in
the "sip show peers" command. In face, all many different of the Linksys
WRP400 show the same. It seems that pfsense does something to the packets
that when they reach Asterisk it thinks they are sent from the Gateway
rather than the actual endpoint hence the calls are not reaching the other
side but registration is made.

Any experience with this?

Thanks