[asterisk-users] Opensource Speech recognition for Asterisk

Jeff LaCoursiere jeff at sunfone.com
Sun Aug 22 16:24:52 CDT 2010

On Sun, 22 Aug 2010, Jason Aarons (US) wrote:

> I'm not aware of an open source speech product.
>
> Some great examples where speech recognition works well are
> 1-800-USA-RAIL, Microsoft/Cisco corporate directory 425-882-8080 you can
> say the employees name and be connected and those works great,
> 1-800-Goog-411 also works well.  Windows 7 Speech Recognition, Dragon
> Natually Speaking work pretty good. Vonage does a good enough job of
> sending my home voicemails to my email in Speech to Text, I use this app
> daily, rarely having to listen to actual voicemails.  What Speech-Text
> doesn't convey is anger/happiness, etc.

Great story from a friend in a large unnamed corporation - an upper level
mgr named "Jack Smith" got a call from a very angry customer.  He did his
best to help him and in the end asked how he got transferred directly.
The man said "the system asked me who I wanted to speak to and I said
'JACK ASS'" and I got you!