[asterisk-users] Removing `chan_dahdi.conf`

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Sun Aug 15 07:08:01 CDT 2010

On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 11:46:49PM -0700, Randall Degges wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm currently playing around with optimizing an Asterisk install (trying to
> remove as many possible configuration files as possible) for testing and
> debugging purposes.
>
> I've been able to remove most of the files and maintain an error-less
> Asterisk full file, with a single exception: I can't seem to remove
> `chan_dahdi.conf` without having Asterisk complain in the full logs:
>
> ERROR[1182] chan_dahdi.c: Unable to load config chan_dahdi.conf
>
> I'm only using DAHDI for dahdi_dummy timing, and nothing else. If I have an
> empty `chan_dahdi.conf` file, then Asterisk won't complain at all, but if I
> remove the empty file, Asterisk spits out the above error message.
>
> So my questions are:
>
> 1. By removing `chan_dahdi.conf`, am I breaking any functionality that would
> cause dahdi_dummy to not provide timing (or some other critical feature) in
> my Asterisk environment?

No. chan_dahdi is not required for using DAHDI as a timing source.

> 2. Is there someway to let Asterisk know that I *only* need DAHDI for the
> dahdi_dummy driver, and that the configuration file is unnecessary? (This
> way I don't get errors in my logs.)

If you don't need chan_dahdi.so, why do you load it? Look into 'noload'
in modules.conf . Consider not loading modules automatically. Consider
removing modules you don't need from the modules directory (Consider.
Don't just do without considering).

There are in fact a number of other modules you don't need. Specifically
other channel drivers (chan_*). Also look at the various res_* (do you
need mysql/pgsql/odbc/sqlite/whatever? I bet you don't use all of those
together ;-)

> The point of me pursuing this is because it *seems* as if I can currently
> `get by` without having the `chan_dahdi.conf` file at all, even with the
> error message I'm getting in the logs. I just worry that there may be
> another consequence for not having this file that I will experience at some
> point, and since I haven't found one yet, I wanted to check with the experts
> to get a definitive answer.
>
> I'm currently using Asterisk 1.6.1.1.

Any reason you don't use a newer version (1.6.2.x? A newer 1.6.1.x?)

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com