[asterisk-users] Timing on Asterisk

colin mcdermott colinjamesmcdermott at gmail.com
Sun Aug 15 08:32:06 CDT 2010

Hi All

I am occasionally hearing a slight pop or skip in an audio message playback
on one ALL SIP installation. There are other Audio problems with the
installation too (underwater Audio, 1 second 1 way audio delay (takes 1
second for Audio spoken by the customer to reach the agent, and Robotic
voices).

I have looked up many guides and memorized voip-info.org... I am starting to
wonder if the problem is in my timing. I was using dahdi_dummy, I have put
in a sangoma card and I am using it as a timing source (and only as a timing
source).

Here is the output of my timing source below.

*CLI> timing test 50
Attempting to test a timer with 50 ticks per second.
Using the 'DAHDI' timing module for this test.
It has been 1002 milliseconds, and we got 51 timer ticks
*CLI> timing test 100
Attempting to test a timer with 100 ticks per second.
Using the 'DAHDI' timing module for this test.
It has been 1002 milliseconds, and we got 102 timer ticks
*CLI> timing test 500
Attempting to test a timer with 500 ticks per second.
Using the 'DAHDI' timing module for this test.
It has been 1001 milliseconds, and we got 510 timer ticks
*CLI> timing test 10
Attempting to test a timer with 10 ticks per second.
Using the 'DAHDI' timing module for this test.
It has been 1080 milliseconds, and we got 11 timer ticks

in asterisk.conf,  internal_timing = yes