[asterisk-users] Correct Caller-ID

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Mon Aug 9 17:45:42 CDT 2010

Matt wrote:

>     >I've seen caller-id come through from carriers as:
>     >NPA-NXX-xxxx, 1-NPA-NXX-xxxx, and +1-NPA-NXX-xxxx
>
>     >My question is: what is the correct way to send Caller-ID by set
>     standards?
>
>     The correct answer to this depends on where you are.
>

>     IMO the answer would be #2, but #3 would probably be acceptable –
>     Google wasn’t helpful on this one.
>

> OK... the reason I asked is because I've seen Vonage send the 1, and a
> cellular carrier I have sends the 1, but it seems that most phones are
> designed to not know what to do with that (e.g. they only ask for the
> local area code NPA), thus when I call comes through with the 1, the
> phone has no clue what to do with it.

Also in the US.

My Vonage account does NOT send the "1"  My T-mobile at home account DOES
send the "1" Neither REQUIRE the "1" to be dialed!!

IMO the "+" is not correct when sending CLID. It is correctly used in
print when referencing international numbers.

Why would you expect anyone to follow a standard?

John Novack

--

Dog is my Co-pilot