[asterisk-users] Correct Caller-ID

Danny Nicholas danny at debsinc.com
Mon Aug 9 15:10:26 CDT 2010

From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Matt
Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] Correct Caller-ID

>I've seen caller-id come through from carriers as:
>NPA-NXX-xxxx, 1-NPA-NXX-xxxx, and +1-NPA-NXX-xxxx

>My question is: what is the correct way to send Caller-ID by set standards?

The correct answer to this depends on where you are.

IMO the answer would be #2, but #3 would probably be acceptable - Google
wasn't helpful on this one.

>OK... the reason I asked is because I've seen Vonage send the 1, and a
cellular carrier I have sends the 1, but it seems that most phones are
designed to not know what to do with that (e.g. they only ask for the local
area code NPA), thus when I call comes through with the 1, the phone has no
clue what to do with it.

My best answer in this scenario would be to obtain/deduce the NPA-NXX
combinations that are known cell providers (such as 205-616) and send those
without the 1.  you could build this information into an SQL table pretty
easily.