[asterisk-users] VOIP Monitoring tools........

Paddy Grice paddy at wizaner.com
Sun Apr 25 03:44:30 CDT 2010

Hi

I use ADSL and SDSL on a lot of multi channel VoIP connections SIP and H323
and no real problems if you size the link correctly - this normally means
limiting no of calls to match available bandwidth.

Check out the upstream and downstream data rates and size on the smaller -
normally the upstream. the thing that is not normally explained is the
contention ratio at the local exchange. here in the UK residential broadband
packages normally have a contention ratio of 50:1 so at peak you could be
fighting with 49 other users. Contention ratios for business DSL packages
can vary from 1:1 to typically 20:1.

To monitor I use wireshark and look at packet loss on RTP.

My home adsl connection is 7M downstream / 800K upstream with a 10:1
contention.I can normally get 20 x G729 channels without a problem much more
and things get stressed - also I have to watch what other things are going
on - downloads not too much of a problem because of the unbalanced
downstream/upstream speeds but peer to peer stuff is a real killer!

Paddy

  _____