[asterisk-users] SIP Dialplan Failover Solution

Alexandru Oniciuc Alexandru.Oniciuc at trivenet.it
Tue Apr 6 07:37:00 CDT 2010

Hello list,

                I need a hand to find the best dialplan failover solution when using two SIP Trunks.

                My reasons to do failover are:

a)      one of the two providers could be unreachable

b)      both providers may be UP but one of them could return a SIP error message (maybe caused by DOWN E1s)

                Googling I found a few possible solutions:

1.       Using DIALSTATUS variable.

2.       Dialing in sequence:
               exten => _X.,1,Dial(SIP/${TRUNK1}/${EXTEN})
               exten => _X.,2,Dial(SIP/${TRUNK2}/${EXTEN})

3.  ChanIsAvail

                Using the first method it's possible to get the CONGESTION and CHANUNAVAIL status which pretty much solves my problem but it takes more than 2 lines of dialplan(I like one liners).
The second solution requires less space in the dialplan but it should work only when the called party is busy (or maybe even when the first trunk is down).

Is there a clean way to send the call to the second SIP provider if the first one is unreachable or spits out sip error messages?

Thanks in advance,

Alex