[asterisk-users] streaming meetme conference

Boehm, Matthew mboehm at theplanet.com
Wed Sep 9 16:25:42 CDT 2009

Hello,

Our 500+ company is slowly moving away from our hosted conferencing
solution to one I built a few weeks ago with Asterisk and MeetMe.  When
our Q3 conference call comes around, we will have the need to have
approximately 300-400 users in this call. Obviously, all would be
'listen only' mode and only 1 or 2 two would be speaking as marked/admin
users.

Our conference hosting provider was able to stream our calls to the web
so that lessened the number of calls into the bridge. I'd like to
accomplish the same thing with Asterisk.

I got Icecast and app_ices() up and working fine, streaming the
conference, but I ran into three serious issues:

1.       icecast only supports OGG/Vorbis and neither iTunes nor WMP can
play that format natively.

2.       A considerable delay of close to 45 seconds over the stream

3.       Every x seconds, it sounded like a packet or two of speech was
being dropped even though VLC reported no packet loss

My work computer and the asterisk server are on the same network so
network latency isn't the issue for #2 and #3.

Has anyone successfully setup meetme streaming in the manner I have
described? Were you able to stream WAV or MP3? Did you experience the 45
second delay?

Cheers and T.I.A!

-Matthew