[asterisk-users] streaming meetme conference

Evan P. Hall evan at corpwest.com
Wed Sep 9 17:47:40 CDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 2:26 PM, Matthew Boehm wrote:

> Our conference hosting provider was able to stream our calls to the
> web so that lessened the number of calls into the bridge. I'd like
> to accomplish the same thing with Asterisk.
>
> I got Icecast and app_ices() up and working fine, streaming the
> conference, but I ran into three serious issues:
> 1. icecast only supports OGG/Vorbis and neither iTunes nor WMP can
> play that format natively.

We frequently stream meetme conferences in mp3.  The key was a helpful
comment on the voip-info wiki. See this link:
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/index.php?page_id=991&comments_page=1#comm
ent_41349.

> 2. A considerable delay of close to 45 seconds over the stream

There is always a bit of delay when streaming audio from asterisk or any
other source since both the sever client are doing some buffering.  Not
sure if there is a way to reduce this.

> 3. Every x seconds, it sounded like a packet or two of speech was
> being dropped even though VLC reported no packet loss

We've not had that problem with the mp3 streams we do.

-Evan