[asterisk-users] Allowing multiple callers to join a public speaking session...?

Ira ira at extrasensory.com
Wed Sep 2 17:43:51 CDT 2009

At 02:11 PM 9/2/2009, you wrote:
>That said, is there any way technologically to branch/bridge a
>normal phone line using Asterisk (or anything else), or must I have
>some other number/service coming in?
>
>Also, I believe there was a bit of confusion with an earlier
>post.  Although they wish to *host* the entire setup in-house, they
>will have external callers.
>
>I'm certainly not opposed to the various proposed solutions, but
>given the nature of the project you can understand that I don't want
>to spend resources on items they don't absolutely need.

I think if you have the upstream bandwidth that you could get a
single number from a VOIP provider, I pay $1.50/month or so from
Flowroute, and pay about a penny per minute for each active
connection. I've found they tend to severely limit the number of
concurrent connections, I think I'm only allowed 2 or 4, but I think
that's mainly a protection from fraud thing and that a bit of
negotiation could get that limit raised to meet your needs. That
means for 20 callers you're looking at an internet connection with
adequate bandwidth, a asterisk box, I'd guess most any reasonable
leftover computer made in the last 4 years would work and then it's
25 cents a minute for however long the conferences last.  If you do
that, you can get in for essentially 0 hardware cost and it's easy to
set up and test for a $30 up front payment for a few thousand minutes.

Which makes lots of sense if the number of conference minutes is
small, if that number gets high, you might see if a T1 is cheaper as
you might get that with free incoming minutes. The T1 card will
increase the hardware cost quite a bit.

The part I don't know and maybe someone else can help is how to get
your conference sound track into Asterisk.

Ira