[asterisk-users] OT - Number Portability

Cary Fitch caryf at usawide.net
Sat Oct 31 08:50:20 CDT 2009

Your chances are likely slim to none.  But good luck.

First to port numbers you have to be a recognized carrier, which for the
most part means getting numbers from NANPA : North American Numbering Plan
Administration.  To do that you have to be certified by your state PUC or be
a CMRS (cell phone) carrier.

They would give you a block of 10,000 numbers designated to the rate center
of the ILEC in question.

Then you designate on of those numbers as a "local routing number" (LRN)
which is like a "pathfinder" number for ported numbers.

And, you work out an Interconnection agreement with the local Telco
(probably with them kicking and screaming for months or a year) because they
really don't want you there, and you aren't a big cell phone company, but a
local wire line competitor, which then is approved by the state PUC.

What some others have done is to operate as a "PBX Service provider" or some
other business term.

They get a PRI from the local company, and become the agent for the
customer, move the service delivery to their PRI, and then distribute the
calls to the appropriate customer via SIP and Asterisk or other solution.

That has worked in Casa Grande, AZ for one place.

(Not ours.)

Cary Fitch