[asterisk-users] OT - Number Portability

Jeff LaCoursiere jeff at jeff.net
Sat Oct 31 08:33:34 CDT 2009

Sorry for the off-topic, but perhaps this will be of interest to other
asterisk based ITSPs.

We are starting service in a rural area where the ILEC has the rural
"monopoly".  From what we have read in the FCC docs this does NOT exempt
them from number portability, but what does it take for us to qualify to
receive their numbers?  To date we simply have a few voice trunks to them,
and a set of DID numbers we purchase from them.  Do we have to be a full
CLEC to participate as a carrier?  Does this imply we must have an SS7
connection to the PSTN?

Thanks for any info,