[asterisk-users] OT - mISDN and B410P questions

Darrick Hartman dhartman at djhsolutions.com
Sat Oct 24 15:37:04 CDT 2009

Oliver,

I have some comments, but am looking for a good answer to this as well.

1).  2.6.27 kernels to include a version of mISDN v2.0.  It's not as up
to date as the full version on the mISDN.org site.

2).  From my understanding chan_lcr is the preferred way to connect
Asterisk to mISDN v2.0.  From what I've read it does require some form
of the LCR software to function.  It was a whole level of added
complexity that I didn't want to add to the AstLinux project (unless
we're forced to do so to support mISDN in Asterisk 1.6+).

 From a project maintainer's point of view, having mISDN functionality
in dahdi is a total win, provided that enough European ISDN hardware is
supported.  A more interesting approach are these new ISDN cards that
appear as a network interface to the system (using a Realtek chip I
believe).  A few of the ISDN users who use AstLinux are starting to look
at those cards.

What we've decided to do at this point in the AstLinux project is to
continue using mISDN v1 with Asterisk 1.4 releases.  We have not been
successful in building chan_misdn against Asterisk 1.6 (but then again,
we haven't tried very hard either since we're hoping for a better
solution as mISDN v1 has more than it's share of issues).

Darrick