[asterisk-users] RAMDisk vs Extarnal server for recording

Zoaaaaa zoachien at securax.org
Wed Oct 21 06:21:01 CDT 2009

There are 2 issues i think, one is the seek time on harddisks and the
lack of a big buffer in Asterisk (saving 10 streams at the same time
will cause a loooot of random writes).
The other one is the interrupts being taken up by the harddisk.

So an SSD might help, saving to an network drive might help (it moves
the issue to another server, where it might not cause a problem),
buffering to ram (but you will lack space).
The best solution depends on your exact hardware and the amount of
writes you want to do.

Buffering to a ramdrive before moving it over NFS seems like the best
idea to me.

Zoa