[asterisk-users] RAMDisk vs Extarnal server for recording

Robin robin at zoap.org
Wed Oct 21 05:46:24 CDT 2009

I'm having loads of problems with recordings, as in crappy audio quality and
lost pieces of the recordings. I've been searching for a solution and the
solutions i find on the interwebs include a ramdisk, for local recording, or
another machine, handling the recording. I guess the ramdisk would be the
"easy" solution and the external machine would be  little harder to set up.
I do actually prefer the external machine, but i'm not exaclty sure how to
set that one up... The reason I prefer the external machine, is that the
recording have to be moved to an external machine anyway. Although I've come
across a post somewhere, talking about recording to ramdisk and then move
the files over a crosscable directly to another disk over 1000mbit. Which
sound nice as well...

What do you advise for bringing serverload down and get rid of the harddisk
bottleneck? Is a ramdisk a better solution then an external machine? And if
so, why?

Sorry about this pro-con question, but I cannot find an answer which
compares these pro-cons anywhere.

thanks,

robin