[asterisk-users] What are the reasons for VoIP echo?

Ira ira at extrasensory.com
Thu Oct 1 18:17:41 CDT 2009

At 02:53 PM 10/1/2009, you wrote:

>I am curious about the fact that you said after upgrading to 1.6.2, your
>problems went away.  I didn't start with that version because it wasn't
>the current production version at the time.  Do you think it would be
>beneficial to migrate to that version for me?

I would expect not. I originally installed from an all in one disk
and then removed most everything but asterisk. I always had issues
with channels getting stuck and needing to reboot occasionally. I had
tried 1.4 a few time and never got past 6 calls before it segfaulted
so I stayed with 1.2, always kept up to date. When I built my new
machine using an Atom and CentOS 5 I decided to use the 1.6.2 beta
because I beta test a lot of software and I'm comfortable with the
risks. It was probably silly, but all the issues I had before with
stuck channels and other nonsensical problems are now a thing of the
past. Echo has rarely been a problem for us once I got the echo
cancellation working properly on the incoming only POTS line. I don't
recall it happening on outgoing calls which are now either Flowroute
for domestic or CallWithUs for international.  Occasionally I'll get
problems to New Zealand or Australia, but calling back usually fixes
it. No clue why, but at 1.5 cents/minute I can put up with it.

Ira