[asterisk-users] What are the reasons for VoIP echo?

Myles Wakeham myles at techsol.org
Thu Oct 1 16:53:12 CDT 2009

Ira writes:

 >Very similar to what I have. Also Flowroute for outgoing but others
 >and a TDM400 for incoming. Since upgrading to 1.6.2 from 1.2.28 or so
 >and figuring out DAAHDI and HPEC on the new version there have been
 >no echo issues at all. Also cable modem but only the slow version.
 >There is a Linksys router between the Asterisk box and the cable
 >modem.  Usually VOIP echo is the other end. There should be no way
 >other than having the volume on your SIP phones way too high to get
 >local echo. In the past it's been suggested on inexpensive phones
 >with this problem to take apart the handset and make sure the path
 >from the speaker to microphone is blocked or filled with sound
 >insulation.  I'm using Aastra 480i phones and that's never been a
 >problem.

That's interesting.  Our setup is almost identical to yours.  We have 3
different SIP phones, one being an Aastra 480i.  I have a Grandstream 4
Line one, and my wife has a Grandstream 2 line one.  Both are relatively
high-end phones (not inexpensive ones).  The echo issues we've seen
don't appear to be any different regardless of the phones in use.  And
strangely we never actually experience them on our end.

The problem is always reported to us by someone calling in to us.  This
is what suggested to me to migrate my DID numbers over to them, rather
than keeping them with Broadvoice.  I think I might do that as a
precaution anyway since its not likely to be a big problem for us to do it.

The volume on our phones are not loud.  I use a headset with my phone
most of the time, which seems to give a better quality call to the other
end, but there's not an issue with volume that could cause it.

I am curious about the fact that you said after upgrading to 1.6.2, your
problems went away.  I didn't start with that version because it wasn't
the current production version at the time.  Do you think it would be
beneficial to migrate to that version for me?

Myles

--
Myles Wakeham