[asterisk-users] Please some enlightment on ENUM !!

SIP sip at arcdiv.com
Mon Nov 30 12:22:15 CST 2009

Norbert Zawodsky wrote:
>> But then you create phonenumbers in enum, which doesn't exist as
>> pstn-numbers.
>>
>> Not the idea behind enum.
>>
>> On the other hand, if you owned 10 or 100 pstn-numbers in series, you
>> could get the last one or two digits delegated to your dns-server.
>>
>> Leif

> Why do I create numbers in enum which doesn't exist as pstn ?
>
> A simple example:
>
> My "pstn number" is +43-1-1234567. Everybody around the world can call
> me using this number.
> Lets say, I have 3 extensions: 0=reception, 10=secretary, 20=boss.
>
> If someone calls
>
> ENUMLOOKUP(+4311234567) he will get a uri "sip:0 at ip.of.my.asterisk"
> ENUMLOOKUP(+43112345670) he will get a uri "sip:0 at ip.of.my.asterisk"
> ENUMLOOKUP(+431123456710) he will get a uri "sip:sec at ip.of.my.asterisk"
> or "sip:10 at ip.of.my.asterisk" (which ever you prefer)
> ENUMLOOKUP(+431123456720) he will get a uri "sip:boss at ip.of.my.asterisk"
> or "sip:20 at ip.of.my.asterisk"
>
> All this numbers exist because they connect to different persons. Why
> shouldn't that be the idea behind enum?
>
> Norbert

ENUM is, quite literally, E164 Number Mapping (that's what it stands
for).  If you're mapping numbers which are invalid E164 numbers (i.e. in
your scenario in which you're taking an E164 number and attaching digits
to it), you're violating the ENUM idea for the sake of convenience.
You're also making the somewhat unfounded assumption that there will
never be an actual number issued (to someone else) with those extra
digits.  Right NOW, there may be a convention that says that you can
only have 10 digits in your country's phone numbers, but that could
conceivably change at some future date, and then you'd be mapping
numbers that belong to someone else to your own services.

The only VALID way to assign ENUM numbers is to assign numbers you
actually own. Not numbers you own with additional digits. Not numbers
you own with extentions tacked on. Not numbers that are similar to ones
you own. But ONLY ones you own. In this case, you own +4321234567, and
only THAT number should be allowed to be registered as an ENUM number.
Unless you, for instance, also own +4321234568 and +4321234569 or some
such... at which time you would certainly be able to register those
numbers and point them to your PBX.

What you're suggesting, though, violates the ENUM standard... and should
not be allowed.

N.