[asterisk-users] Please some enlightment on ENUM !!

Norbert Zawodsky norbert at zawodsky.at
Mon Nov 30 15:11:01 CST 2009

SIP schrieb:

> ENUM is, quite literally, E164 Number Mapping (that's what it stands
> for).  If you're mapping numbers which are invalid E164 numbers (i.e. in
> your scenario in which you're taking an E164 number and attaching digits
> to it), you're violating the ENUM idea for the sake of convenience.
> You're also making the somewhat unfounded assumption that there will
> never be an actual number issued (to someone else) with those extra
> digits.  Right NOW, there may be a convention that says that you can
> only have 10 digits in your country's phone numbers, but that could
> conceivably change at some future date, and then you'd be mapping
> numbers that belong to someone else to your own services.
>
> The only VALID way to assign ENUM numbers is to assign numbers you
> actually own. Not numbers you own with additional digits. Not numbers
> you own with extentions tacked on. Not numbers that are similar to ones
> you own. But ONLY ones you own. In this case, you own +4321234567, and
> only THAT number should be allowed to be registered as an ENUM number.
> Unless you, for instance, also own +4321234568 and +4321234569 or some
> such... at which time you would certainly be able to register those
> numbers and point them to your PBX.
>
> What you're suggesting, though, violates the ENUM standard... and should
> not be allowed.
>

> N.

Sorry N. !

But - at least here in Austria - it is definitely *no* assumption that
my number with some extra digits can not be issued to someone else.

The number +43-1-3207978 is my telephone number. I "own" it as long as I
pay for it. And with extra digits behind it I can do whatever I like. I
can create any extension - physical or virtual. I can attach a phone to
extension 12, attach a virtual fax server for extension 12 to extension
99912 or could fire up my toaster if I call extension 911.  I can invent
any numbering scheme for my company. That's a fact!  Again - At least
here in Austria !! (can't speak for other countries)

And why would nic.at (the "owner" of our .at TLD) offer the possibility
to register a "e164 domain specific Nameserver" to answer
subdomain-requests for your number if it would violate ENUM standards? I
don't think that they're not knowing what they do....

It *is* the same as with "normal domains". If you rent myhome.org you
can create any subdomain like razor.bathroom.myhome.org ;-)

And 7.6.5.4.3.2.1.3.4.e164.arpa is "my" domain (also literally! What
does the word "domain" mean?), and anything below that in the domain
tree is under my responsibility.

N. (too)