[asterisk-users] Best practice to set up 4 line phones

Karl Fife karlfife at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 10:47:47 CST 2009

One of the coolest things about Asterisk, and SIP/VoIP in particular is the
abstraction of the logical (numbers) and the physical (lines).  'Lines' and
'numbers' are no longer one and the same.   For example, I have something
like one hundred telephone numbers, 50 phones, and only ONE sip account.
How many 'lines'?  At any given time I have exactly as many as I'm using.
Maybe zero.  Maybe 50+.

The one sip account is registered to Asterisk, and all numbers ring to that
ONE sip account, and get routed to the right phone (or IVR tree, or mailbox
etc) by simple logic in the Asterisk dialplan.

When a user picks up a phone, (the phone sets its CallerID equal to the
users assigned phone number), he or she gets a 'line' from our ONE sip
account.  That one SIP account may be 'trunking' from ZERO to 50 or more
calls!

That's a summary of the important paradigm shift you'll have to understand
to use this technology the way it was designed.  It's different than you may
be used to, but far more powerful.

Good luck!

-Karl