[asterisk-users] Professional Setup..

Grygoriy Dobrovolskyy megahohol at gmail.com
Sat May 9 12:32:20 CDT 2009

2009/5/9 Steve Edwards <asterisk.org at sedwards.com>

> On Fri, 8 May 2009, Dave Walker wrote:
>
> > I have a question for those who have done a few professional installs of
> > Asterisk.  Is it taboo to use something like AsteriskNow/FreePBX/Trixbox
> > to get a base installation of Asterisk installed and functional for a
> > small office?  If not then do you always compile from scratch or use
> > CentOS and the yum repositories?
>
> I used Asterisk At Home (predecessor of Trixbox) for my first couple of
> installs. I didn't need most of the cruft included and never took the time
> to understand all the funny little things that were done behind my back to
> make life easy for someone with little to no Linux skills.
>
> Fortunately, I was able to replace those systems before they were hacked
> by default passwords and buggy code.
>
> Now, I install a minimal CentOS (de-selecting every single package) and
> yum in just what I need. Then I install Zaptel, Libpri, and Asterisk from
> source. (I'm a 1.2 Luddite.)
>
> "Parts left out don't get broke."
>
> Thanks in advance,

Building everything from scrach each time is good when you have time, but
when you want a nice web interface for cdr stats, end point management and
good auto provisioning, it is not an option. Security issues are standing on
good knowledge of the system and experience, to do not encounter "default
passwords and buggy code" issues.
Have fun.