[asterisk-users] Professional Setup..

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Sat May 9 11:42:19 CDT 2009

On Fri, 8 May 2009, Dave Walker wrote:

> I have a question for those who have done a few professional installs of
> Asterisk.  Is it taboo to use something like AsteriskNow/FreePBX/Trixbox
> to get a base installation of Asterisk installed and functional for a
> small office?  If not then do you always compile from scratch or use
> CentOS and the yum repositories?

I used Asterisk At Home (predecessor of Trixbox) for my first couple of
installs. I didn't need most of the cruft included and never took the time
to understand all the funny little things that were done behind my back to
make life easy for someone with little to no Linux skills.

Fortunately, I was able to replace those systems before they were hacked
by default passwords and buggy code.

Now, I install a minimal CentOS (de-selecting every single package) and
yum in just what I need. Then I install Zaptel, Libpri, and Asterisk from
source. (I'm a 1.2 Luddite.)

"Parts left out don't get broke."

Thanks in advance,