[asterisk-users] iphone, skype and asterisk ...

Andrew Kohlsmith (lists) aklists at mixdown.ca
Mon Mar 30 12:40:14 CDT 2009

On March 30, 2009 12:48:59 pm randulo wrote:
> Except for roaming and in particular international roaming, isn't the
> best plan to forward calls the iPhone. It is a phone, too isn't it? Or
> just a game platform, browser and GPS?

That's pretty much what I do; I use siax (I have a jailbroken iPhone) and it
works great.  I use it for testing, and when I am in "friendly" wifi areas
and want to talk to someone without using my minutes.

> As cool a device as these things are, the all in one approach has
> rarely worked well. Seems to me a good phone should be a good phone.
> Maybe part of the future is netbooks with 3g, too?

Actually that would be a great idea.  I already tether the phone to the
laptop, and have an HSDPA card for the computer for when tethering just isn't
sufficient.  If I could get a bluetooth keyboard hooked up to the phone and
the phone had slightly higher resolution, it'd be an almost perfect piece of
convergence kit.

-A.