[asterisk-users] SIP Diversion header

Mark Michelson mmichelson at digium.com
Fri Mar 27 16:20:53 CDT 2009

Olivier wrote:

> 2009/3/27 Mark Michelson <mmichelson at digium.com
> <mailto:mmichelson at digium.com>>
>
>     Olivier wrote:
>      > Hi,
>      >
>      > Is anyone aware of SIP Diversion header ?
>      > It seems currently supported by Comverse (formely NetCentrex)
>     softswitch
>      > and some hardphones (Thomson ST2030).
>      >
>      > An old draft (draft-levy-sip-diversion-08.txt) mentions this header.
>      >
>      > ha
>      >
>      > I'm wondering if this could be used
>      >

>     Diversion header is an outdated draft and anyone who follows along with
>     developments in the SIP community will tell you that other methods
>     such as
>     history-info are preferred over use of the diversion header.
>

> OK, I see that RFC4244 relates to history-info.
> I'm adding this here for reference.
>

>     That being said, in
>     practice, the diversion header is used by several phones. The
>     firmware on my
>     Polycom desk phone (IP 430) supports the sending of a Diversion
>     header when it
>     sends a 3XX response code.
>
>     As far as Asterisk is concerned, current released versions (All 1.4
>     and 1.6.0)
>     will read the Diversion header
>
>     in an incoming response and use that information
>     to fill in the rdnis of the corresponding channel's callerid
>     structure. Once the
>     changes from http://reviewboard.digium.com/r/201 are merged into
>     Asterisk trunk,
>     then Asterisk will also generate a Diversion header if you have
>     configured
>     Asterisk to generate redirecting information.
>

> Is it planned to support in Asterisk both history-info and diversion
> headers ?
> (I can't access reviewboard at the moment soI can't check by myself).
> If positive, that would be interesting to know how mixed
> diversion/history-info hardphones are treated.
>
> Are you aware of history-info enabled (hard or soft) phone ?

I haven't done a lot of research with regards to history-info, so I don't know
much about which phones support the feature. I don't know of any immediate plans
to place history-info support into Asterisk. Of course, if the core developers
were bombarded with requests to add the feature or if a community member were to
write support for it into Asterisk then that would increase its consideration
for inclusion.

Mark Michelson