[asterisk-users] New CentOS 5 repo: dahdi, asterisk, freepbx RPMs

John Morris asterisk at zultron.com
Wed Mar 25 11:35:45 CDT 2009

Dear list,

I've set up an RPM repository with several asterisk-related RPMs that I
think contain some improvements upon what are already out there.  The
first goal is to be able to build an Asterisk + FreePBX system on CentOS
5 with the EPEL repo enabled; in our environment, where all our systems
are under configuration management, either an appliance-type solution or
a manual configure/make/make install process is undesirable.

The FreePBX RPM is the biggest improvement; this RPM can be meaningfully
manipulated with rpm -e/-V, installs with all the latest updates, and
has some other basic bits you'd expect (but that no other FreePBX RPM
seems to provide).  This is written from scratch.

The DAHDI SRPMs can build kernel module RPMs against any installed
kernel-devel RPM, and also build OSLEC modules.  The Asterisk RPM is
provided for completeness, and is lightly customized to work better with
the FreePBX RPM.  These RPMs are modified versions of the ATrpms
packages (Thanks, Axel).

I'm quite interested to get feedback on these RPMs, both on the need for
such a repo as well as (if there actually is a need) problems and
improvements that can be made.  I'll be monitoring this thread as well
as comments in the blog announcements (links below).

NOTE that these RPMs are not well-tested and upgrades are practically
untested; they should not be depended upon in production environments,
and backups should be made before any upgrades.

Thanks, and looking forward to your comments.

	John

The repo information page:

     http://www.zultron.com/rpm-repo/

The repo announcement: