[asterisk-users] Callwithus.com is discontinuing IAX service

David Backeberg dbackeberg at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 19:53:09 CDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 8:13 PM, Joseph<syscon780 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is SIP really so much better than IAX2 that providers are dropping it?
> The major issue for me with SIP is firewall traversal.

I wouldn't say 'better' so much as 'understood'. When I've worked with
SIP, including integrating components from multiple manufacturers or
programmers, things with SIP have worked or at least my
troubleshooting led to measurable progress until I had things working.

I had much difficulty locating suggestions for what I might be doing
wrong when my IAX connections failed, or seemed to spontaneously
reconnect, etc. I gave up, and went with a SIP-based approach because
I need 'something that worked' more than I needed to know the ins and
outs of IAX. Maybe somebody who knows the common errors, what causes
them, and how to fix them could write up an IAX 101 or something.

I have a hunch that provider has noticed the same thing, such that
they end up providing more in-person support than it was possible for
the margin they were making on that business.