[asterisk-users] Callwithus.com is discontinuing IAX service

Joseph syscon780 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 19:13:17 CDT 2009

On 06/29/09 13:54, Steve Totaro wrote:
>On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 2:49 AM, Joseph <syscon780 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Did you ask why they are dropping IAX2?  That is a fairly big decision.
>
>I assume it was eating more resources than it was worth.
>
>Sort of like IAX.cc (Vitelity) recommending IAX2.
>
>I have fixed many ITPS setup by simple switching to SIP.
>
>Just some questions to ask, and answers to ponder.
>
>Thanks,
>Steve Totaro
>+18887771888 (Toll Free)
>+12409381212 (Cell)
>+12024369784 (Skype)

--copy of the email I received from them----
Dear Customers,

We got some operational cost cuts because of discontinuing IAX
protocol support, and pass the savings to you. Call rates to USA,
Canada, UK, India mobile and some other destinations are reduced.
Updated call rates are on our web site. Hint: the link to downloadable
rate list is at the bottom of \"A-Z rates\" web page.

We\'d like to remind you that you have to use sip.callwithus.com
server to make calls. IAX customers could continue to use
iax.callwithus.com server before Sptember 1st deadline.

Have a nice calling:-)
---end copy-----

Is SIP really so much better than IAX2 that providers are dropping it?
The major issue for me with SIP is firewall traversal.

--
Joseph