[asterisk-users] extensions not being detected consistently

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Wed Jun 3 13:45:57 CDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 01, 2009 at 12:47:22PM -0700, Terry Nathan wrote:
> G'afternoon everybody,
>
> I'm having a problem with consistently being able to ring our extensions
> from an outside line. I don't have a problem reaching the number, but
> during our calls to Background(msg) that I am having a problem. It seems
> to be an issue with timing. If I press the extension towards the end of
> the Background(msg) the it often works. However, in the middle of the
> message it will not work at all.
>
> What is also strange is that I can dial an extension any time if I call
> from one of our ip phones. This seems to be strictly a problem with
> regular phones, then the timing of dialing the extension becomes important.
>
> The fact that the ip phones always work seems to suggest that I need to
> look at tone detection, but after googling and searching the bowels of
> every conf file I could find, I haven't found any magic bullet.
> I should mention that the first call to Background() usually works, even
> for the regular phones, I think this is because it is short enough that
> the timing of dialing the extension is relatively easy.

Do you have any sort of hardware DTMF detection on that channel? I
assume not. But if you do, there are other tests to do.

Does Asterisk get proper DTMF tones? The way to check that is to record
them with dahdi_monitor .

Note that the first misdetected digit is the one that matters. If you
got the number '1123' instead of '123' and you have no number that
begins with '11', Asterisk may give a busy tone after the '11'.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com