[asterisk-users] Best Current Release for Long Term Use

Jared Smith jsmith at digium.com
Mon Jun 1 15:22:30 CDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-05-29 at 09:24 -0500, Danny Nicholas wrote:
> I beg to differ with you Jared.  Since I don't have your email, I'll post
> this here.  Create this call file.

Funny... as you copied me on the email...

> On my "test" machine using a TDM400P, the playback would occur in a manner
> such that the user would only get 50-70 percent of the message.

Correct, as DADHI assumes that the call has been answered just as soon
as the last digit has been sent, so the length of time the phone rang
before being answered would determine how much of the message was
missing.

> Changing 5551212 to a cell phone number would create another 5 to 10 percent
> loss of message.

Correct, because cell phones often have a longer call setup time than
pots lines.

> Changing DAHDI/g1/5551212 to a local SIP extension would deliver the message
> in its entirety.

Correct, because the SIP channel driver knows when the call has actually
been answered.  Please go back and re-read my previous message... it
explains why you're seeing the behavior that you've explained here.

> On my "live" machine (TDM410P), the DAHDI call actually waits for a
> connection, then plays the message after a 1/2 second pause, so I STAND
> CORRECTED, AT LEAST SORT OF.  The bug is reproducible on the TDM400P but not
> TDM410P.

The only reason I can think of that this would be happening is if you
happen to have "callprogress=yes" in chan_dahdi.conf on your live
system.  Please note that the callprogress setting is *highly*
experimental, and in my experience causes more problems than it's worth.

--
Jared Smith
Training Manager