[asterisk-users] USB phone with Asterisk under Linux

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Wed Jul 15 09:30:17 CDT 2009

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009, Marco Sambo wrote:

> Hi all,
> I want to try to use a USB phone with Ekiga under Linux (Debian Lenny). It
> works: I can receive and make calls. But some buttons of USB phone don't
> work properly. In particular, button *, #, and hangup have wrong key
> mapping.
> Someone have tried a USB phone ????

I've tried a few. They're not well supported. Best I found was Yealink
branded ones, even then, not all the keys worked and I looked into hacking
the kernel USB HID driver to make it work. Biggest hassle I found was that
the phone basically looked like an additional keyboard to the system, so
it needed focus on the application I was using (idefisk/zoiper) - and if
you already had focus by moving the mouse, you might as well use it to
click on the dialpad...

Personally, I'd just use the USB phone as an audio device and use the
on-screen keypad with mouse and/or keyboard to type in a number.

I also found ekiga to be .. "sub optimal". A bit bloaty and clunky, but
it's about the only true OSS softphone in a usable state that I'm aware
of. I always point clients to Zoiper now - mostly because it's cross
platform.

Gordon