[asterisk-users] USB phone with Asterisk under Linux

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Wed Jul 15 09:34:58 CDT 2009

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009, Danny Nicholas wrote:

> You don't say what Technology you're using to connect the phone to Asterisk
> or what release of Asterisk you're working with.  I know that in 1.4SVN, the
> * and # are sometimes non-respondent on incoming DAHDI calls (can't use
> features because can't do *1, #1, etc.).  More information would help.

It's nothing to do with zaptel/DAHDI/asterisk - it's all in the USB HID
drivers and the application you're using to access the USB 'phone'.

One place where Skype 'wins' really - they can release drivers for the USB
device that uses it properly - e.g. sends the CLID to the phone and
listens for the phone's keys to be pressed - or what I suspect happens is
that the USB phone makers release a custom version of Skype to work with
their phone. Tesco did this in the UK when they launched their own VoIP
service. (I used it as a cheap way to get USB phones at the time...)

Linux support for these functions is somewhat limited right now, alas.

Gordon