[asterisk-users] Asterisk Segmentation Faults Using Skinny (v1.6.0.10)

Steve Totaro stotaro at first-notification.com
Fri Jul 10 19:19:52 CDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 7:33 PM, Wayne <Wayne at planetwayne.com> wrote:

> Steve Totaro wrote:
> >
> >     If you are set on "beta" then read no further then the next line.
> >
> >     File a bug report with a core dump.
> >
> >     OK opinion time.
> >
> >     Your server is more than adequate.
> >
> >     For my tastes, you are beyond bleeding edge on the Asterisk front.
> >
> >     Simply my opinion but if this is going to be a "real" "production"
> >     "server" or something you want to use reliably then I would suggest.
> >
> >     1.4.Latest Zaptel
> >     1.4.19 Asterisk (if infact that is the last version that had
> >     chan_zap and not DAHDI)
> >     1.4.Current LibPRI
> >

> > And convert those phones to SIP, forget chan_skinny.
> >
> Hi Steve,
> Thanks for the pointers. I must admit - I was leaning towards 1.6 as
> this apparently has support for SIP over TCP (?). My end goal with this
> was to try and get Asterisk talking to Exchange 2007 servers unified
> messaging.
>
> As for chan_skinny - I'm currently using this on an existing 1.2 server
> although from what I've picked up from previous posts (going back a
> while) the inbuilt version is now quite stable and possibly better than
> the older 'chan_skinny' (which I think the development has stopped for
> now?). This is why I opted to use it for the new 1.6 server.
>
> Still open to an suggestions though :)
>
> Thanks
> Wayne.

Second line.

File a bug report.

There are not nearly as many people on 1.6 as 1.2 or 1.4.

I wish I had stats, but many people from the old skool never wanted to go
past 1.2, myself included.  1.4 has proven itself stable in my book with
zaptel, I don't mess with DAHDI.  I still do 1.2 installs for core systems.
1.4 was for app_rpt with the URI (a radio repeater controller that is USB
based).

I think the people using 1.4 have been early adoptors or just started using
asterisk at that version.  They don't even know about Asterisk .3 that only
supported Adtran equipment.

1.6.X is super beta and you are in the new frontier.

Out of the people using 1.6.x, you may be the only person to try
chan_skinny.

You may be the first to find the 1.6.x chan_skinny bug, so start asterisk so
it does a core dump and make a skinny call, then file a bug report.

Hopefully things on bugtracker have changed and it gets attention and not
just closed or ignored.

--
Thanks,
Steve Totaro