[asterisk-users] Caller ID (name) - where does it come from?

Matt Florell astmattf at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 06:46:52 CDT 2009

On 7/8/09, Steve Totaro <stotaro at first-notification.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 2:14 AM, Olivier<oza-4h07 at myamail.com> wrote:
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > Reading this thread, is this correct to say CallerName is widely used in the
>  > US ?
>  >
>  > Here in France, this service is optional but I don't think many companies
>  > are subscribing to it and I'm not aware of any non-Telco CNAM providers.
>  > I would curious to know how the situation is elsewhere.
>  >
>  > Regards
>  >
>  >

> Whether true or not, I was told that nearly 80% of people in the US
>  have caller ID.  I would say that number is much higher for business,
>  especially on PRI circuits.
>
>  I think the two big motivators there were packaging of services, for X
>  amount extra, you get caller ID, call waiting, voicemail on at the
>  telco, etc....
>
>  The other factor was the proliferation of telemarketing.  Before the
>  DNC, a white pages listed home phone could ring a dozen times a day by
>  people selling "stuff".
>

>  --
>
> Thanks,
>  Steve Totaro

In Canada, their telephone network is set up to allow for dynamic
CallerIDname on PRIs  just like how CallerIDnumber works here in the
USA. We didn't believe it at first until we tried it, but they seem to
be the only country we've worked in, out of a few dozen countries,
that allows dynamic CallerIDname defined on a per-call basis.

MATT---