[asterisk-users] Caller ID (name) - where does it come from?

Steve Totaro stotaro at first-notification.com
Wed Jul 8 06:14:53 CDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 2:14 AM, Olivier<oza-4h07 at myamail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Reading this thread, is this correct to say CallerName is widely used in the
> US ?
>
> Here in France, this service is optional but I don't think many companies
> are subscribing to it and I'm not aware of any non-Telco CNAM providers.
> I would curious to know how the situation is elsewhere.
>
> Regards

Whether true or not, I was told that nearly 80% of people in the US
have caller ID.  I would say that number is much higher for business,
especially on PRI circuits.

I think the two big motivators there were packaging of services, for X
amount extra, you get caller ID, call waiting, voicemail on at the
telco, etc....

The other factor was the proliferation of telemarketing.  Before the
DNC, a white pages listed home phone could ring a dozen times a day by
people selling "stuff".

--
Thanks,
Steve Totaro