[asterisk-users] Caller ID (name) - where does it come from?

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Tue Jul 7 19:58:50 CDT 2009

If the calling number shows up correctly for the called party (an obvious
first step), the called party will need to get in contact with their
telephony provider/CNAM vendor to get the calling name fixed.  It’s possible
that because your client (the calling party) ported their number, the called
party’s CNAM source reflects no information because the line was
disconnected.  The called party’s CNAM source is obviously not getting
directory listing directly or indirectly from Teliax.

It may be helpful to speak to Teliax and find out where they sell/provide
their directory listings.  Somehow the called party’s CNAM source needs to
get that information from Teliax, either directly, or more likely, via one
or more intermediate parties that aggregates the data.   TARGUSinfo
(http://targusinfo.com/solutions/identification/caller_name/default.aspx),
for example, collects from over 90 sources
(http://targusinfo.com/solutions/identification/caller_name/faq/).

I’ve heard that Vonage Canada does not sell/provide their directory
listings, so you’ll never obtain a name-like calling number unless your CNAM
provider collects the data from other sources, and they do (e.g. department
store credit cards applications).

Frank