[asterisk-users] Caller ID (name) - where does it come from?

Karl Fife karlfife at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 20:04:00 CDT 2009

>>My primary issue is for calls that are placed FROM my client's PBX, via
>>VOIP provider (Teliax). The recipients of those calls are the ones that
>>are not getting the proper CNAM information as the call comes in.

I neglected to go into detail on this point at the end of my last post
because I thought it was out of scope.  But now that you ask...

While I am not an expert in the specific architecture of CNAM database, I do
know that (to Frank's point) it is not at all a database in the 'MySQL' or
'Oracle' sense of the word.  It's a database more analagous to the DNS where
data can be located in many places (cached) but there is a single source
considered authoritative that ultimately propogates out to cache.  This
authoritative source is the Telco that provides your DID number--after all,
they the only ones with a billing relationship to validate the name
information.

So historically, *normally* your Telco is the authoritative source of the
CNAM data that populates the 'screens' of the people you call, and
*normally* the Telco of the calling party is ultimately compensated by the
Telco of the called party for providing the CNAM data, but this model has
broken down in the world if IP telephohy.  Your ITSP (Teliax) is one of
"them-thar new-fangled ITSPs" and the big boys have exactly ZERO interest in
compensating them for CNAM dips.  Meanwhile they are excluded from the holy
brotherhood of 'real' CNAM.

This is why your name is not populated in the CNAM database.  Teliax is not
one of the CNAM insiders who exchange name data and compensate each other
for said data.

That's also why it would never make sense to ask your CNAM lookup serive
provider to make corrections to errant CNAM data.  It just doesn't work that
way.

It used to be that you could work around this problem by using LNP to port
your number temporarily to an ILEC .  Your TN would get a CNAM record which
would persist as an orphan for years.   Recently this has changed, and NOW
when you port your TN away from the losing LEC, they purge your CNAM record.
:-(

Recently there are some good solutions to this problem.  One is to ask your
ITSP if they can put your number in the LIDB for a fee or alternatively you
can just buy a "white pages" entry (also from your ITSP) which accomplishes
the same thing.  I've seen this for $5 per month, and the BONUS you get a
white pages entry (which you may or may not want).

I hope this helps.
-Karl

http://www.hcst.net/
937-427-9000