[asterisk-users] USA BRI -- any hope at all?

Wilton Helm whelm at compuserve.com
Tue Jan 27 16:54:01 CST 2009

I'm with you on this.  A VoIP trunking solution is never going to equal a LEC PSTN solution.  It may be adequate for some purposes, but I'm not about to dump my BRI for a pair of IP numbers.  The trade-offs aren't worth the small cost savings for me.  Just the packetized delays (not to mention internet latency) are going to degrade things somewhat.  Your example about FAX is a good one.  Yes, there are work-arounds, but when you have customers to keep happy, meeting their expectations in an intuitive manner is critical.  OTOH, I certainly like the idea of an open source PABX doing my internal routing.  I've done some stuff with commercial PABXs that few people would attempt.  I've also failed to do things because the PABX OS didn't support what I wanted to do.  That's one reason I once wrote my own.

Wilton