[asterisk-users] USA BRI -- any hope at all?

Michael Higgins linux at evolone.org
Tue Jan 27 15:40:11 CST 2009

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 12:27:04 -0600
Jerry Jones <jjones at danrj.com> wrote:

> Instead you could always get a SIP/IAX provider.

Can you please elaborate as to how this answers my question? Would getting a SIP/IAX provider be the same as getting a working 'BRI' ISDN line coming into the machine and properly handled in the chip or software stack?

I know I can avoid all of this by paying a provider for services (which is what we do now). Is this proposed solution somehow different (other than "cheaper") than that?

I have COLO with fat bandwidth included, no PSTN lines. So, is this a viable alternative? How do I reliably fax from my server over SIP/IAX? Why would I pay for services that I have oodles of bandwidth to handle for a nominal investment?

Example, you spend hours trying to get a tech support individual on the phone with any vendor, time where you learn nothing and get nowhere. Often, they don't know the answer anyway. Sometimes I call them back to tell them their business.

OTOH, I can generally track down the patch, or library, or clue I need to fix anything open source and free, within an hour or two. Plus, I'm learning about the issues related and technologies underlying in the process.

Anyway, I just don't see how this reply is at all helpful... say, if I intend to beta test asterisk and skype (I'm on the list, if they ever move forward), will this be possible on this kind of system? Would it be as useful, as flexible?

Perhaps you were just being sarcastic -- since the lack of BRI sales (and marketing) *seems* to allow the opening to sales of these "halfway" services (where they wouldn't likely have much chance to sell them otherwise) -- sarcasm would make some sense. Unfortunately, in email <sarcasm></sarcasm> is the only way I've seen to reliably indicate communication as such. The terseness and offhandedness of the comment does inform toward this, but I don't really know...  you.

Nonetheless, I've 'bitten'. Let's see what you have to say. '-)

Thanks for your reply.

Cheers,

--
 |    |ichael  |   |iggins    \^ /