[asterisk-users] No Ring on Analog Phone using Rhino Channel Bank in China

D Tucny d at tucny.com
Wed Jan 21 06:33:26 CST 2009

2009/1/21 Lee, John (Sydney) <John.Lee at compuware.com>

> I am testing analog phone and fax machine plugged into Rhino Channel
> Bank which is connected to TE412P card.  This site is in China.
>
> I am running RHEL 5, Asterisk 1.4.21.2, Zaptel 1.4.11 and libpri 1.4.4
>
> I ran into a problem which is analog phone can hear dial tone and can
> make outgoing calls.  Another phone (ether internal or external) can
> call the analog phone ***but the phone does not ring***.  However, if
> the person knows that someone is calling him and picks up the analog
> phone, he will be able to talk to the caller.
>
> This problem does not happen in other countries which I tested before.
>
> I have tried distinctive ring tones like [ Dial(Zap/32r5,20) ]  but they
> don't seem to make the analog phone ring.
> I think it has to do with the analog phone doesn't recognize the ring
> voltage generated by Rhino.
> Does anyone have experience with this?
> Do we have to modify the output ring voltage from the channel bank to
> make it work?

There's nothing special about analogue phones in China, they are fully
interchangable with analogue phones elsewhere... Perhaps you have a
configuration problem, or, hardware problem on the Rhino Channel Bank,
perhaps the ports are wired the wrong way and the phones care, perhaps the
phones have the ringers disabled...