[asterisk-users] Fring and Asterisk

John Todd jtodd at digium.com
Mon Jan 19 20:55:24 CST 2009

On Jan 19, 2009, at 6:29 PM, D Tucny wrote:

> 2009/1/20 Olivier <oza-4h07 at myamail.com>
> Hi,
>
> Is anyone using Fring as a SIP client to an Asterisk server ?
>
> Yes, testing it...
>

> A prospective customer of mine is asking to integrate its iphones
> with an Asterisk server and after googling, I still have some
> unanswered questions :
>
> 1. Which codecs are available when calling from fring ?
>
> I believe it offers GSM, ilbc, ulaw and alaw...
>

> 2. Is it easy and natural to change your presence status (available,
> busy, ...) with Fring or will users prefer to use another software
> (bundled with iPhones) or to do nothing at all ?
>
> 3. Is it possible to add custom presence status in Fring client ?
>
> On the version running on my nokia phone, there seems to be no
> obvious way to change status...
>

> 4. Is it possible and recommended to limit Fring usage to WiFi
> presence ?
>
> The options on the version I have are: Wifi first, 3G/GPRS first,
> Wifi only, 3G/GPRS only, Always ask... So, it is possible... It does
> work over GPRS, but quality is noticably lower than over Wifi...
>

> 5. Would fring replies to Qualify messages ?
>
> Yes
>
> One thing to note about fring, the device establishes a connection
> using fring's proprietary protocols to fring servers, fring then
> establishes SIP connections from those servers... So, even if
> connected to the office Wifi connection, you could experience
> connectivity issues or high latency as a result of a potentially
> long path involved for the traffic to travel...

Yes, it's disappointing that Fring doesn't release the media.  I tried
it a few times, but the latency was unacceptable since the hairpin
apparently has very long "legs" from a millisecond-delay perspective.

I had it working once, but now for some reason I get authentication
errors (repeated REGISTERs and they don't seem to see my replies) and
I don't really have the time to work it out.  Anyone having similar
problems or is this my local problem?

JT

---
John Todd                       email:jtodd at digium.com
Digium, Inc. | Asterisk Open Source Community Director
445 Jan Davis Drive NW -  Huntsville AL 35806  -   USA
direct: +1-256-428-6083         http://www.digium.com/