[asterisk-users] Fring and Asterisk

D Tucny d at tucny.com
Mon Jan 19 20:29:57 CST 2009

2009/1/20 Olivier <oza-4h07 at myamail.com>

> Hi,
>
> Is anyone using Fring as a SIP client to an Asterisk server ?

Yes, testing it...

> A prospective customer of mine is asking to integrate its iphones with an
> Asterisk server and after googling, I still have some unanswered questions :
>
> 1. Which codecs are available when calling from fring ?

I believe it offers GSM, ilbc, ulaw and alaw...

> 2. Is it easy and natural to change your presence status (available, busy,
> ...) with Fring or will users prefer to use another software (bundled with
> iPhones) or to do nothing at all ?
>

> 3. Is it possible to add custom presence status in Fring client ?

On the version running on my nokia phone, there seems to be no obvious way
to change status...

> 4. Is it possible and recommended to limit Fring usage to WiFi presence ?

The options on the version I have are: Wifi first, 3G/GPRS first, Wifi only,
3G/GPRS only, Always ask... So, it is possible... It does work over GPRS,
but quality is noticably lower than over Wifi...

> 5. Would fring replies to Qualify messages ?

Yes

One thing to note about fring, the device establishes a connection using
fring's proprietary protocols to fring servers, fring then establishes SIP
connections from those servers... So, even if connected to the office Wifi
connection, you could experience connectivity issues or high latency as a
result of a potentially long path involved for the traffic to travel...