[asterisk-users] Fring and Asterisk

D Tucny d at tucny.com
Mon Jan 19 22:03:58 CST 2009

2009/1/20 John Todd <jtodd at digium.com>

> On Jan 19, 2009, at 6:29 PM, D Tucny wrote:
>
> > 2009/1/20 Olivier <oza-4h07 at myamail.com>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is anyone using Fring as a SIP client to an Asterisk server ?
> >
> > Yes, testing it...
> >

> > A prospective customer of mine is asking to integrate its iphones
> > with an Asterisk server and after googling, I still have some
> > unanswered questions :
> >
> > 1. Which codecs are available when calling from fring ?
> >
> > I believe it offers GSM, ilbc, ulaw and alaw...
> >

> > 2. Is it easy and natural to change your presence status (available,
> > busy, ...) with Fring or will users prefer to use another software
> > (bundled with iPhones) or to do nothing at all ?
> >
> > 3. Is it possible to add custom presence status in Fring client ?
> >
> > On the version running on my nokia phone, there seems to be no
> > obvious way to change status...
> >

> > 4. Is it possible and recommended to limit Fring usage to WiFi
> > presence ?
> >
> > The options on the version I have are: Wifi first, 3G/GPRS first,
> > Wifi only, 3G/GPRS only, Always ask... So, it is possible... It does
> > work over GPRS, but quality is noticably lower than over Wifi...
> >

> > 5. Would fring replies to Qualify messages ?
> >
> > Yes
> >
> > One thing to note about fring, the device establishes a connection
> > using fring's proprietary protocols to fring servers, fring then
> > establishes SIP connections from those servers... So, even if
> > connected to the office Wifi connection, you could experience
> > connectivity issues or high latency as a result of a potentially
> > long path involved for the traffic to travel...

> Yes, it's disappointing that Fring doesn't release the media.  I tried
> it a few times, but the latency was unacceptable since the hairpin
> apparently has very long "legs" from a millisecond-delay perspective.
>
> I had it working once, but now for some reason I get authentication
> errors (repeated REGISTERs and they don't seem to see my replies) and
> I don't really have the time to work it out.  Anyone having similar
> problems or is this my local problem?

I've just had a look, and can confirm that it is working here... even quite
a while after the fring client has been closed :/

Fring seems to send CR and LF twice in one packet every 10 seconds, not
relevant here, but, a bit odd...

One thing that might be relevant, it does use NAT, at least some of the
time, so asterisk needs to be aware of that... Address combinations I've
seen in the past hour...
91.151.216.12:52931
212.150.129.13:52924 -> 172.16.8.15:52924
91.151.216.10:53219
91.151.216.4:52796