[asterisk-users] Not Dialing 9

Martin Lima ra25 at atlas.cz
Sun Jan 11 14:26:07 CST 2009

> In North America:
> 0 is the intra-lata operator
> 00 is the inter-lata operator
> 0+ <something else> will be an operator assisted call
AFAIK this is not correct at least here at east coast (MA, NY, NH...)
1 is a national call (local or long distance)
011 is international call
Some providers allow you to dial without the prefix in their network.

ie my T-mobile number 857-928-XXXX can be dialed as:
857928XXXX from other T-mobile phone.
1857928XXXX from any other US provider
+1857928XXXX from europe
001857928XXXX from the most european countries (as regular phone can't
dial "+"

Czech republic number 235362XXX can be dialed as:
235362XXX from any phone in Czech republic (without any prefix)
+420235362XXX internationally
011420235362XXX from US (011 international prefix, 420 country code)

Some VoIP gateways require country code every time without any other prefix
(ie Betamax) - in my case 420235362XXX

Your examle reminds me more old czech (and possibly some european countries)
behaviour:
local calls - no prefix
"long distance" - 0 followed by "area code"
"international" - 00 followed by country code
Some other prefixes like 81, 82 existed in past to direct trunk dial from one
exchange to another (but more than 20yrs ago...)
Martin