[asterisk-users] Not Dialing 9

Shane Young asterisk3 at shaneyoung.com
Thu Jan 8 17:15:41 CST 2009

Quoting "Thczv F. Thczv" <thczv.thczv at gmail.com>:

> When I set up my Asterisk box at home I didn't want to have to dial 9
> to dial off premises, so I gave all my local phones three digit
> extensions with this format: 1[1,0]*.  My thought is that there are no
> area codes that start with 0 or 1, so if I use those numbers, I can
> create 20 local extensions that can be dialed with 3 digits, and not
> have to use a timeout when dialing long distance.  If I dial 1, then
> anything other than 0 or 1, Asterisk knows I am dialing long distance.
>  If I start with any number other than 1, Asterisk knows I am dialing
> a local or local toll call.

In North America:
0 is the intra-lata operator
00 is the inter-lata operator
0+ <something else> will be an operator assisted call

11xx is used for the rotary dial equivilant of *xx on many central
office switches.

Assuming you are not using rotary dial, I generally use 4 digit
extensions with the 11xx format for the same reason you suggest.

--Shane