[asterisk-users] Not Dialing 9

Wilton Helm whelm at compuserve.com
Sun Jan 11 16:50:33 CST 2009

>> In North America:
>> 0 is the intra-lata operator
>> 00 is the inter-lata operator
>> 0+ <something else> will be an operator assisted call
>AFAIK this is not correct at least here at east coast (MA, NY, NH...)
>1 is a national call (local or long distance)
>011 is international call
>Some providers allow you to dial without the prefix in their network

In some places 0+ is intra-lata operator assisted and 00+ inter-lata operator assisted.  In other places (like CO) we don't have LATAs.

The NA number plan has been and still is much more uniform than in many other countries.  However, given the variety of unregulated providers plus the breakup of the Bell system, it has diverged some.  The basic NPA-NXX-XXXX scheme has remained (so far) but details like 1 being optional on Cell phones, whether 1 means "area code to follow" or "this is a toll call", whether local calls and/or calls within an area code require 7 or 10 digits is up to the LEC in each case--its a bit confusing.  Then there are LATAs (or not) and some places which have mileage based charges that aren't quite long distance, but aren't local, either (ZUM).

I managed a PBX in the 805 area code where the LEC provided 7 digit local dialing, 8 digit toll dialing within the A/C and 11 digit toll dialing outside the area code.  Except that two prefixes from the 818 (originally 213) A/C was also local and you had to dial 11 digits for that (1+) even though it was local.  Furthermore, it was run by a different LEC that had different dialing rules, so making the call in the opposite direction had different rules (10 digit for local in the area code, if I recall).  A bit confusing for someone who lived in one community and worked in the other and made calls both directions between the two.

We're pretty well off here in CO.  We do have an overlay area code (303 and 720) so everything is 10 digits, but everything in those two area codes is local, there are no ZUMs or LATAs.  The only abnormality is that there are a couple of other areas codes in the state that have different tariff rules than out of state, but it doesn't affect dialing, only cost and provider.

Wilton