[asterisk-users] ATA recommendation (wih FTP provisioning)

Jeff LaCoursiere jeff at jeff.net
Thu Feb 26 15:33:07 CST 2009

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009, Wilton Helm wrote:

>> Actually you want to use the one with -N/A at the end.
>
> Thanks for the correction.  My memory failed me.  But definitely I want
> people to know that not every PAP2T is useful to them so they don't get
> burned.  IMO Vonage (and others) should not be locking them the way they
> do (and Linksys shouldn't make it possible).  I don't mind them
> providing autoconfiguration, as many of their customers would be lost
> otherwise, but blocking factory reset and other tricks they play is IMO
> morally wrong, particularly since the customer paid for the ATA.

I don't think they are "locking" the same device that you buy when you buy
the "-NA" version.  I believe that Linksys is making pre-configured
devices for these large buyers and selling them much cheaper to them in
bulk than they sell the -NA version to the community at large.

I agree that it sucks, though ;)